Monday, March 01, 2010

a prelude to vegetarianism...?

Today I was preparing to roast a chicken when Megan entered the kitchen. Her jaw dropped.

"Daddy, what is that??"

I introduced her to our chicken.

She said, "Daddy, I don't like chickens when they're like that. I like chickens that can make sounds and walk around. This chicken was killed and killing is bad."

"Well, unfortunately we use chickens for food." This seemed to be good enough for her. Also, I invited her to squeeze some lemon on the dead chicken. I suppose I could have gotten into a longer discussion with her and explained that some people choose not to eat chickens and other animals because they feel it is wrong to kill animals for food. Perhaps another day. And besides, she's not even four years old yet.



No comments: